Thursday, September 28, 2017

Catching Up

Here it is autumn already. The season is catching up with the dead looking leaves on the trees attacked by the Japanese beetles. Hopefully, we’ll get some nice fall colors out of the remaining leaves.

The yard is starting to look like autumn. We are surrounded by cornfields that have turned golden brown as they quickly approach harvest time.

Yesterday was the first day it was cool enough to think of dragging out the autumn wardrobe. At least it was a day I didn’t feel like I had to wear a sleeveless blouse to keep from melting. We even had a gentle autumn rain.

I wore a hoodie this morning when I walked the dog. With her long hair, she seemed to be enjoying the autumn crispness too.

I kept telling myself that I need to get in gear and drag out my fall decorations. Last year, it was nearly Halloween before that happened. Unfortunately, decorating often falls into the “I can do that tomorrow” category. It seems each day I have a list of things that have to be done that day and can’t wait until the next. Or worse yet, the things that should have been done last week…or the week before that.

Catching up happens every year after Walk to End Alzheimer’s. I have a lot of catching up to do. I tend to let everything else slide in the last few weeks before Walk, and often in the two weeks following. That means the last week in September and the first week or so in October are times to put on a different hat and catch up on everything I put on hold during the walk.

Every year I look at my September calendar and think…it won’t get busier than this. Then, I flip the page to October and have to take deep breaths before I admit that I’m not going to be caught up until at least November.

I have several days on my October calendar double-booked and two days triple-booked. I have some serious choices to make. Throw into that the unknown, unexpected things that happen and October just got really, really scary.

I can’t help but wonder what I would do if I ever did actually catch up. I kind of think that’s never going to happen. Makes me think of what my sister-in-law used to say, “The hurriered I go, the behinder I get.” That just about sums it up.

Copyright © September 2017 by L.S. Fisher

#ENDALZ #GoJimsTeam

No comments: